Facts about Parker Solar Probe first mission to Sun
- August 12, 2018 was a historic moment as NASA launched itsParker Solar Probe on its voyage to the Sun.
- The United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy rocket launched NASA’s Parker Solar Probe from Launch Complex 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.
- Parker Solar Probe is humanity’s first-ever mission into the Sun’s atmosphere, called the corona.
- Corona is the hazardous region of intense heat and solar radiation in the Sun’s atmosphere that is visible during an eclipse.
- Parker Solar Probe will explore solar processes that are key to understand and forecast space weather events that can impact life on Earth.
- As on August 20 – NASA’s Parker Solar Probe successfully completed its first trajectory correction manoeuvre (known as TCM-1), achieving a near-perfect firing of its propulsion system and putting the spacecraft on course to “touch” the Sun.
For more information on Parker Solar Probe click here